Tuesday 17 July 2012

Hearing between the lines...


   When I heard that there was a session about language for an entire day, the immediate thought that floated across my head was “A session on language for the whole day, how much can be learnt that we don’t already know?” Little did I know that I was foraying into the amazing world of words and languages where everything that seemed mundane and ordinary had much deeper secrets to be unfolded.

   Language for me has always been the ladder used to climb to the higher worlds of Sciences and Mathematics. Which precisely explains why I would never really open my English or hindi book for studying because for me neither of these languages had anything new to offer. Once you have read a story, you know what there is in it and there would end my ordeal with the subject. I would rather use that time studying Maths  or Science that appeared more mentally stimulating. 

   But the session on linguistics pretty much changed all that I had ever perceived since the last 15 years which is long enough  time to think that what you believe is what is right. The different languages spoken in our country have always intrigued me. I knew that various languages and dialects borrow words from each other freely specially those having geographical proximity. But never once did I know or even tried to know that there was common thread running across all languages of the world. 

   The consonantal and vocalic sounds common to most languages of the world was a fantastic revelation on its own.  In fact the fact that all languages can be represented by means of one single script is something that I always knew. But I had never paid heed to these simple things that hugely simplify means of communication across boundaries.  The tasks with plurals and constructing negatives and questions  in different languages gave me fascinating new insights.

  The most fascinating of them being how closely mathematics and languages can be linked.  I always thought that mathematics was the most logical subject and English the most illogical one. You either knew it or you didn’t. But with the play with sound structures I realized how logical English plurals are. You can actually construct a theorem that can be applied to almost words English. In fact not just English we actually formulated a common rule with negatives and questions across 30 languages.

  I learnt amidst the rich diversity across nations and languages, there lies a common thread that binds them all, that was always there but I was too ignorant to notice it.


No comments:

Post a Comment